Thursday, May 19, 2005

Cross-cultural language education

All this week, I`ve been at Nakanoshima Junior High, a half-hour train journey out of Kawasaki. As a result, I`ve been getting up at five in the morning, staring bleakly at the clock on my laptop (still set to GMT) thinking that a session down the pub would be just about getting started...no more. I`ve finished at this particular school for the forseeable future. Apart from the absurd rising hour, this has been a fun week - I`ve been giving the kids a speaking test, which unfortunately has meant asking the same questions to about two-hundred and forty students, but things like that really bring out the characters. Here I`ve encountered the most fluently spoken english student yet. I asked a teacher if she knew what he was actually saying, and she responded with
"Not really, he uses a lot of very hard words." I`ll say. He`s learned all of his English from Hip-Hop albums (he even did a little yo-dance for me), and apparently "it`s the fucking shit, motherfucker."

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger BY couldn`t help but say...

Did he say "I wanna be a motherfucking hustler" when you asked him what he wants to be when he grows up?

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Unfortunately not. He may already be at those dizzying heights.

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Getting up at 5? My God - and I thought that my 6.30 rise was the pits!! But is this the price of the 2-day week?

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

No...a four day week.

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Have you taught them how to say "Wank you" instead of "Thank you" yet? All my Bristle kids are saying "Beastie" instead of "cool" at the minute. Sounds very 1940s. Need some Japan inside knowledge...the latest craze for kids is a thing called Scoobies. One obtains plastic-y string and spends hours plaiting a 4-way plait with it. Children have been stabbed in Bristol for ownership of said Scoobies. Apparently they were cool in Japan a few months ago...what's the latest kid craze over there? Just so I can pre-empt the next lot of nonsense...

xx

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

No, but I have taught my private student how to say "gert lush".

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

what about the latest kiddie craze? or are they all so morbidly well-behaved they are above such things?
xx

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Although not the latest kiddie craze, I have heard stories about J-boys sneaking up behind teachers and suddenly ramming two fingers up their victims arse. I`ve yet to experience this, but walking through the corridors always feels like a risky venture.

 
At Thursday, May 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

You must wear hotpants to encourage them. That way at least you'll know it's coming.

 
At Friday, May 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

We have scuby-things at our school too. Oddly enough, I can remember doing these when I was about 9 - with knitting wool of course. I don't think plastic string things had been invented then!!

xx

 
At Friday, January 26, 2007, Blogger dataphage couldn`t help but say...

shizzlde the mo nizzle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home