Sunday, December 11, 2005

Christmas Kanji

As I've finished at my main school for the year, last week the First Graders made me a present of my name in Kanji...back in April I wrote about some of the crazy possibilities that such a venture would produce, "yellow asian pig" being a fine example. It's the "ton" in "kearton" which is the killer, as it's Chinese for "pig"...

...the Japanese have the most complicated system of writing in the world. When Buddhism was first introduced to Japan, the pilgrims brought along the Chinese ideograph system, which the Japanese chose to adopt, naturally keeping their original pronunciations as well as taking on the Chinese, hence the two pronunciations (and sometimes meanings) of kanji. The end result is that one sound will have several kanji and meanings.

My name rendered into the Japanese phonic alphabet is ku.ri.su ki.a.to.n. The diversity of kanji and meaning for "ku.ri.su" alone has me balking at the amount of typing I'd have to do...thankfully, to boot them into action, the students were in competition with each other, so I can just write down the winners.

There was tremendous scope for poetic names, but still plenty of room for randomness, as "Poem Benefit Bulb" (ku.ri.su) "Hope Vase Fly Cloud" (ki.a.to.n) demonstrates. "Long time Useful Wonderful" was very nice indeed, but my surname "Giraffe Relief Cloud" would raise one or two eyebrows in polite society. One class that didn't have enough time to hear all the kanji had me as the "Duke of Dark Chaos", for which I thank them, but the winners, in my opinion, gave me the name "Rouge Sky Blue Master" for ku.ri.su...my surname, with a few liberties taken with the verb form, is now my blogger ID...

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, December 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

I will stick with the cunning earl

 
At Monday, December 12, 2005, Blogger bulabula couldn`t help but say...

Stuck my first name through a Japanese kanji translator. Came out "Strike Beautiful Work" or "Load Nose Moving" (or a combination of these.

Guy in an office where I used to work had the name Mike Shute, which when translated phonetically appears to come out as Mike Shite. Verify? And when are you back in the UK? Must meet up old boy, see how uncivilised you've become, what?

 
At Wednesday, December 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Well Mr Rouge Sky Blue Master, that is a rather complicated name! What was the prize given for such a masterpiece?

Mr Banks passed me your blog which has given me much entertainment over the last month or so. I'm glad to see it is going well.

It would be nice to see you if you're in Brizzol over christmas - Matt may have mentioned that I'm having a new years party which you would be very welcome to attend!

see you soon (hopefully)
Shaan

 
At Wednesday, December 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

It doesn't require a foreign language (necessarily) to make a total mystery of ANYONE'S name. For example, today I received a Christmas card which the sender had addressed to "Turay"!!!! Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At Friday, December 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Just re-read this lot, and it makes far more sense second time round - I actually SOUNDED OUT the pronunciations of your names!!! So THAT'S where "Shining Love PPig" comes from. I WAS meaning to ask you!!
See you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

 
At Friday, December 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Whoops!! There are not ( I repeat - NOT!!!!) two p's in Pig!!

Sorreeeeeeeeeeee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home