Saturday, October 29, 2005

Children

Disclaimer - the author accepts no responsibility for his sounding like an old git.

Oshima students

For years I vowed I would never become a teacher. Children were a nuisance; a noisy, irritating necessity for the preservation of the human race. I`ve changed my mind since actually working with them. I now find them rewarding and not nearly as annoying as I once did. This could be because I can`t understand about 90% of what they`re saying...time will tell on that one.

It`s obvious when you put it into words, but childhood is an interesting and tumultuous period. The speed at which you change from a child into an adult is immense, and I never appreciated it whilst I was going through it.

Oshima students

Aren`t they cute? Who would have thought that these cheerful, energetic, up-for-anything fellows would turn into sullen, smelly, work-shy teenagers? The change during Elementary School is insidiously subtle, starting to take shape in the final year...suddenly some cute kids are noticeably bigger than the ones with further to go. Whilst playing what amounted to a game of tig with thirty Elementary Sixth graders, I sustained probably my first work related injury (a wonky finger). I played the same game with eighty (yes, 80 of the little bastards)First Graders, and walked away without so much as a scratch...although that day I learned the true meaning of "sweaty".

Shincho students

By the time they get to Junior High, the change accelerates alarmingly. When the First Grade started, they were a dazzling wall of bright eyes, bushy tails, yelling "onegaishimasu!" at the start of each lesson, with all the enthusiasm I had in the face of the excitement and slight fear of big school. Of course, as the year goes on, the hormones kick in, they learn from the older students and puberty begins in earnest. Dilligence wanes, certain bits of the body become immensely fascinating, the students become gobby and their mischief takes on a more calculating form. Only the other day I was presented with a plastic bowl of some green substance (complete with floating flower) that a pack of cackling girls assured me was Green Tea. Suspicion wasn`t even warranted. I politely declined the offer, suggesting they drink it instead.

Kyomachi sports day

When Sato sensei, the man solely responsible for ALT`s in Kawasaki, said that "Japanese children have no respect", I was reminded of Kitano `Beat` Takeshi`s character in Battle Royale, but he has a point. Maybe it`s a universal phenomenon. It`s particularly evident during the Second Grade of Junior High, roughly 13-15, considered by most teachers to be the hardest year. The school I wrote about in the previous entry is by far my roughest. Last week wasn`t so bad, but I think that`s down to my not having to teach the Second Graders. To be honest, I first visited that school before summer, and having abruptly left my comfortable, safe and familiar life in Bristol to find myself on the other side of the planet, illiterate in a strange country, flung straight into a job I still wasn`t sure about...I think I needed a holiday. Many students who, at that time, horrified me, I now just see as harmless, but cheekier than most. Some students still worry me, especially those who are almost nonchalant in their aggressive rejection of everything on offer

the kids are alright

Places like that make me wonder what makes a bad school, especially when ten minutes up the road there`s a really good school. There are probably all sorts of factors; funding, staff and I suppose once serious discipline problems take hold, it`s only a matter of time before the other students follow suit. I`ve actually spoken to some teachers at that school, and they`ve gradually revelead that the problem can be traced to one man; the head of the Second Grade. His manner of dealing with the students is apparently disciplinarian to say the least. It`s difficult to get details across when language and professional tact & courtesy are issues, but it seems that the students feel ill-treated, confused and angry with his methods...hence, in part, the mass rebellion against all other authority figures. The thing is, this man has no contact with the students, unless it`s in the classroom, or the corridor, administering a wagging finger. It`s the Home Room Teachers, in many ways more responsible for the students than the parents, who are left to pick up the pieces. I`ve actually got it comparatively lucky with that school - Ueno san has told me a story about an ALT who got beaten up by three Second Graders because he told them off for eating in class.

...but these guys are friendly...

By the time they hit the Third Grade, the hormones have calmed down somewhat. They`re starting to form real opinions and becoming more rounded characters. With regards to my subject, by this point their English is pretty good, and they still have a childish sense of humour. My favorite students are the really cheeky boys who can string sentences together, usually obscene, with a degree of confidence. One memorable character constantly introduces his friend as "Mr Masturbation". Troublesome students can`t be bothered to be that disruptive - they`d rather play truant, which is fine by me.

In May, I was giving speaking tests to an entire grade - I mentioned this in the entry for that week, but doing something that repetitive really brings out the characters. One boy in particular stood out. He sat down in front of me, plonked down his score sheet and didn`t say a word. I fired question after question at him, being greeted with stony silence, as he clearly saw no point in learning English, and resented being taught it. Finally I asked him if he could speak English, and he said "No", so I gave him a point. This prompted him to say "No" even more, in protest, whilst he gestured that I remove that point from the score sheet. Even though he was making my job difficult, I admired his defiant stance, as it was so decisive and not remotely malicious. I wonder where he`s going.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Saturday, October 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

...you were something of a sullen smelly work-shy teenager yourself dear boy...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
At Saturday, October 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Oh no Liz. That only happened when Chris was quizzed about homework - genarally when he got home - which happened at the end of every school day. In fact, during a "chat" at one of the many parents' evenings, one teacher was heard to comment that "Christopher is a very nice young man who sees homework as something that gets in the way of how he THINKS his life should be!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

SORRY Chris!!!

 
At Sunday, October 30, 2005, Blogger bulabula couldn`t help but say...

Have any of the kids had a personal dig at you? Called you "big nose" for example? Personally I'd attack the weird quadruple-lobed shape of your cranium.

 
At Sunday, October 30, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Mother, that teacher was chillingly accurate.

Dave, I`ve not really had a dig as such, except when I was in severe need of a haircut & I was compared to Tempura...the most consistent bit of "teasing" involves the students asking me how big my nob is. Something of a myth over here, akin to the one about black guys...

 
At Monday, October 31, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

...and, yes Liz, I was once a sullen, smelly work-shy teenager (and early twenty-something) and anybody who pointed it out would have been quite right.

 
At Tuesday, November 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

DOOD! do you have an email? i'm trying to get a hold of you but i can't find an address for goat san or chris. the roadragebunny needs to know these things! or how else can i send out wacky links like this

http://jaggster.portronics.com/media/banana.swf

remind you of a song we might have learned during training ?

 
At Wednesday, November 02, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

smelly sullen work-shy teenagers are so funny. you were particularly funny when you tended towards being pompous too, like when I had to give you a shout to get out of your pit, and you sat bolt upright in bed (hair plastered to the side of your face creased from recent sleep) and indignantly point out you'd been awake for HOURS but were waiting for me. har har har. I laughed then and I laugh now xxxxxxxxxx

 
At Thursday, November 03, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

who says I`m not pompous any more?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home