Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The domestication of man...and the earth moved.

It is nearly complete. All I need is a washing machine & a hoover. Then I shall be set. The hoover should be pretty straightforward, the washing machine on the other hand is a veritable abyss of rectal agonies. It`s not quite as simple as buying one of the bastards & sticking it in your kitchen, heavens no. There`s a fitting in my corner & the machine has to be the exact dimensions, length, breadth and height. The recycle shops, be they cheap, are decidedly hit & miss on that particular front, so I don`t think I have any choice but to get a new one, which will set me back a good ¥150,000 at least. Bloody ouch...

On the plus side, I am now the proud owner of a gas stove (decidedly less sashimi for me), a rice cooker, a fridge and a kettle-keep-water-warm thing. Made my first home-cooked Japanese meal on sunday - rice with seaweed, daikon, sesame seeds, omlette, cucumber and raw tuna (yum). Minutes after I`d finished, I (well, not just me...the whole of Oda actually) had my first earthquake. How can I describe it without stating the obvious? I can`t. The entire house shook. A number of thoughts rushed through my brain as everything I own rattled ominously. "Ooo, that`s a large truck. No wait, it`s a big gust of wind. Hang on, someone`s trying to steal my flat with a crane!" What it was only occured to me after the dust had settled, so to speak. Ueno san tells me that there are many different types of earthquake. This one was definitely horizontal. Vertical earthquakes are, apparently, very terrifying indeed. Can`t wait.

Started at a new school today - my first impressions are that I prefer my other school, Kyomachi. Rinko is just a bit rougher. This is reflected by the teachers, who seem to fit into the stereotype of heavy-drinking Japanese. I was introduced, not in literal but definitely in no uncertain terms to the "spliff-making teacher". When making the universally recognised sign for "I am rolling a spliff", people are prone to exaggerate, but the space inbetween this mans hands was frankly ludicrous. My heart went out to the english teacher I was left with (for a while) as he can`t control the class and the kids have little or no respect for him. Then he recycled his (put bluntly, appalling [says the mega-experienced teacher with two weeks under his belt]) lesson plan for all three levels of student, regardless of ability, and that`s not even considering the fact that this lesson just involves the kids copying stuff out of a book - where`s the practice? Oh, I`m not going to talk shop...going out for a cathartic drink with the english teachers tomorrow night (On a school night? Yes. Oh. Okay.). Thankfully I have a Board of Education meeting the following day, which will involve the very friendly Sato san jabbering in Japanese whilst the other ALT`s who can`t speak Japanese & myself look on in wonder, & then HOME. Potentially a three day week, woo-hoo.

Whew, that was a fat entry.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Greetings Mystic One.

I'm glad no one sold your house and you still have vertical earthquakes and potentially you now have a hangover.

I have a Flickr (remember the photothingy?) pro account to give away, worth about $25, on account of I supported them in beta, so I get freebies. If you think you'll have any time for uploading photos and wasting time online (and if you can get online at all to do that sortof thing), then you're welcome to it- if you don't think you would use it then...

Anyway, hope your rehabilitation drinks went well.

See you. Andrew E

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005, Blogger BY couldn`t help but say...

It'll be alright I reckon.

 
At Tuesday, April 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Hi there Chris!! Going to try out what you recommended, so as I no longer come up as anonymous. ME???? ANONYMOUS?!****!!?????

 
At Wednesday, April 20, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Wow - cheers Andrew. At the moment I`m resigned to naught but Internet cafes, so I can`t upload photos just yet...I should have domestic internet in about a month, so if the offer still stands then...

...hope your Phd is going tickety-boo.

 
At Thursday, April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Ok Chris.

I'll setFlickr up for you, but I'll need to know your flickr id (eg I am Aesop) so I can find you on Flickr and gift the account to you. I need to give it away by June 1st, so I'll wait a bit so that the account (1 year) lasts longer for you, but I do need to know your Flickr screenname.

(You can reply to me via the link on Aesop up there, if you want to keep it out of your comments)

 
At Friday, April 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

found you on flickr, goat san.

I'll set up the account later on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home