Sunday, February 26, 2006

That was the week that was...

This week has had me at an Elementary school (6-11) every day and I love it. It's completely exhausting, playing games with hundreds of excitable tinies, but they make you feel so appreciated. Almost as a postscript to my last entry, this week I've come home with two bags of origami and half a bottle of okonomiyaki sauce.

The students are curious, enthusiastic, optomistic and not beset by the hormonal bugbears that teenagers suffer. My greetings at the start of each lesson are met with a colossal barrage of radiant shouts, preferable by far to the semi-articulate grunts I receive at Junior High.

Even amongst elderly Japanese, gaijin are something of a curiosity. The great thing about meeting very young children, is that you don't have to deal with all the pre-conceptions they've gained by the time they become adults, and their spirit of discovery is still fresh. Topics such as the colour of my eyes, my height or shoe size, the simplest revelations, provoke a classroom sized exclamation of wide eyed incredulity.

One of the best parts about the job is tricking children into learning something by playing games with them. This week for example, I've been teaching directions. First I teach the vocabulary using mime and rudimentary Japanese, then we launch into a game, whereby a blindfolded student has to listen to directions from their friends in order to find a ball and bash it with a stick. Just as much fun as it sounds and incredibly noisy.

I've pondered previously on what happens to these joyous characters to turn them into the little toe-rags I spend most of my time with. One girl in particular, when I first met her, was a model student, motivated, enthusiastic, competent and a delight to work with. Recently, although still pleasant to randomly bump into, she's the very antithesis of the student she was...listen to me, old git.

Moving swiftly on, thanks to everybody who left me a birthday comment. We went out to Tokyo in pursuit of 200 yen beers (£1 roughly, proceed with caution) and a punk night, which was like being back in Hawthornes, but relentlessly good fun, ending in a whimsical with cash taxi trip back to Kawasaki, granting us (well, me, as Hayley was asleep on my knee) the sights of Tokyo at some absurd hour in the morning. The rest of the weekend has been a cosy indoor affair, complete with cake (in the shape of a giant shrimp sushi), senbei and the complete series of Black Adder...Happy Birthday to me indeed...

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Sunday, February 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

A good idea of yours to include a link to Hawthorns for the non-Boltonites!! Glad your birthday went so well!

 
At Monday, February 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

That link to Hawthornes is hilarious - its only comment is this:

Review: Very homophobic Bouncers with a non-pc method of doing their work

Would love to know what their non pc method of doing their work is.

 
At Monday, February 27, 2006, Blogger bulabula couldn`t help but say...

Missed your birthday! Doh! Sorry dude, hope you had a good one.
I've been flat out trying to organise money and itinerary for this trip to Disney Florida.
I also need to be thinking about booking flights to see you in August... When would be best for you? And, being slack I can't be arsed to read through your Blogs to find out which city you're in... Would be useful to know so that I can work out what's near you and work out a loose itinerary. Is Tokyo a rediculous distance away? Wouldn't mind checking out the Hombu Aikido Dojo. If it's a stupid distance, hey-ho. I'm sure there'll be enough to keep my head rotating. Email you soon.

 
At Monday, February 27, 2006, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Whilst forcibly ejecting Homosexual patrons, they have this tendency to sing "Golliwog Lezzers" to the tune of "Build a Bonfire"...an excercise in etymology leads them to burn faggots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home