Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Salvation has big feet

Apologies if I'm repeating myself...

I am contractually obliged to be at school from 8:30 until 17:15, unless somebody tells me to go home. This is regardless of any work I may or may not have.

I can only guess (maybe accurately) on the motives of my illustrious employers' and say that they're pandering to the Japanese group/work ethic, thus leaving the decision as to what I do with my day in the hands of their clients, ie; whichever school I'm at.

The 1st graders are on a skiing trip with the Vice Principal. The 2nd graders are engaged in work experience. The 3rd graders are going through the process of applying for High Schools.

On a day like today, when I have had no classes, but still have had to be present between those hours, I'm not sure of their motives for keeping me there. In my not inconsiderable down time, I've boiled it down to three possibilities

i) They are in fact too busy to notice that I'm not actually needed today
ii) They assume that I, like them, want to save face within the working group by leaving work as late as I possibly can
iii) They are so obsessed with procedure, formality and hierarchy that even the absence of the Principal and Vice Principal isn't enough to release me when I have nothing to do, namely because neither of them are present to give their consent.

The latter seems to be the case. I only left when I did due to the intervention of Nakanishi sensei (THANK YOU) of Ojima Elementary school. Every year, teachers are given various gifts such as jackets, tracksuits and the like, and he wanted to give me a surplus pair of shoes. For convenience, he wanted me to pick them up tonight, so I was released. He had noted on my previous visit to that school that my current pair of indoor shoes (not even a year old) were tatty and maybe in need of replacing, thus beautifully demonstrating a typically Shintoist spirit of renewal and purification, and maybe shedding an unflattering light on their attitudes towards economy and ecology...rest assured, entries on those subjects will arise.

As for the shoes, they fit, they are comfortable and utterly hideous. Behold.


But no matter, they took an hour and twenty five minutes off a very long day.

On the plus, I've had plenty of free time (wherein I still get paid) to study Japanese & read about the entry on religion I've got planned (about a month in the making now) and a call for the Japanese to stop working so damn hard has been made. I'll be doing more of the same tomorrow, but unfortunately, I won't have a random shoe acquisition to save me. I may bring a chess board into school, but that would ultimately be self defeating.

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 17, 2006, Blogger Mrs. Darling couldn`t help but say...

How long do the kids go to school there? I mean how long is there school day? Somewhere I heard that they go to school again in the evening or do they just stay at school till way late?
My husband is always saying he wishes our children were in school like the kids in Japan. It's because of hearing stories from over there that my husband thinks Tink can easily go to school in the day and come home and do school at night. But this is just so hard for her! Do you see burnout in the kids or are they just so conditioned that they can't imagine another way?

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2006, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

The school day, as far as lessons go, is from 8:30 - 14:45...not everybody goes to the Cram Schools, many opting for after school sports clubs instead...they are always tired, but the indomitable Japanese spirit keeps them going.

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2006, Blogger dataphage couldn`t help but say...

Jesus was renowned for the size of his feet, weighing in at a hefty size 14 sandal:

'John the Baptist was heard to exclaim, "God almighty, look at the size of plates on that geezer!" and all knew that they were in the presence of the messiah.'

A passage sadly absent from later copies of the bible.

Buddah, they say, had to have his sandals specially made and not just because he shunned leather.

Mohammed famously flattened mountains with incautious footsteps.

Comparative religious history is silent on the foot size of Vishu. Hinduism has a propensity for concentrating more on number than on size.

Interestingly toward the end of their time on earth, the closer holy figures get to ascention or nirvana the less significant for them footwear appears.

Salvation, it would appear, goes barefoot...

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2006, Blogger Mrs. Darling couldn`t help but say...

Thats still a very long day!

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2006, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Indeed, but lessons don`t start until 8:55...the UK school day is longer.

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

I'm really sorry but why has no one else commented on just how hideous those trainers are. I'm sorry Chris but for the sake of humanity and crimes against fashion, you cannot place those spawns of satan on your feet. Even looking at them in a photograph makes me feel nauseas, to actually see them in real life is frankly unthinkable. Politely drop them in the rubbish bin, open your wallet and buy some new ones. If you are worrying about your relationship with Nakanishi sensei, I would forget about that and think about your credibility when you are stood in front of a classroom of children who have to put shades on everytime they look down. THE TRAINERS HAVE TO GO.

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Matt is entirely correct. You could always hide them, and produce them at times when this man might visit YOU? In this way, your street cred would survive at school, abd you need not upset the donor!! What do you think?

 
At Thursday, January 19, 2006, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

I have no street cred...thankfully he doesn`t know where I live, he can`t speak english and, being a very senior teacher, he`s probably too busy to see his own family. I may use them to go jogging, thereby filthing the buggers up...but that`s not very likely.

 
At Friday, January 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

paint them in a proper stone-roses drippy stile and use them as plant pots. Grow lovely flowers out of them. But don't wear them. Matty is quite right.

 
At Friday, January 20, 2006, Blogger Cher couldn`t help but say...

Oh, dang, I have not laughed so hard in a while. You know what they say about fellas in comfortable shoes...
(Um, wait. Maybe I'm confused...)

Jog away, SLP. And thanks for stopping by the blog -- I've seen that "knitting with dog hair" book but there is no way in hail...

 
At Saturday, January 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

So tell me...............what DO they say about men in comfortable shoes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home