Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Japanese and associated vexations

Differences in culture and means of approaching problems can be frustrating to both native and alien peoples.

Take for example, one of my Japanese teaching colleagues. I like the man, I admire his drive, his intelligence and his bottomless affability. Typically Japanese in those senses, also in the way he expresses dissatisfaction. I suggest something for an upcoming lesson...there is a pause...he eventually says "OK". His features betray nothing of the titanic struggle raging within, only his manner reveals every scrap of him disagreeing. Simply saying "I think not" isn't the Japanese way. He will eventually approach me later with some source to gently state what he's thinking.

Indirectness is an infuriatingly Japanese quirk. If you're asking for anything in a shop, you can be assured that unless your request is greeted with a hearty "Hai!", you know they can't help you...but they don't like saying "no" as a rule. Even though they know that their little search is going to be ultimately futile, they're still going to rush off somewhere, at least with the pretence that they're looking for whatever your request was...I rarely ask for anything in shops now.

Yes, a diatribe...bluntly put, the Japanese annoy the hell out of me on some days. Their indirectness, the racism, the rudeness, their sense of cultural mystique, their utilitarian approach to things and people...on bad days, it's easy to feel like an English speaking object. People will momentarily abduct you in the street to practice their language skills on you. At work, there are times when I'm wheeled in as the human tape recorder, the gaijin pet, the zookeeper entertaining the monkeys.

As is life, it's at these low moments that something happens to slap you around and make you retract your vitriol. The Japanese are capable of the most incredible acts of kindness. Caught short in rainstorms, I have received two umbrellas from strangers in the street. Students have made me origami dinosaur heads, presented me with a charm for my mobile phone. Our landlord consistently feeds us exotic things, and my private student has been known to present us with random high quality foodstuffs. Then, last week, whilst at the Board of Education, I bumped into a former Principal who seemed very keen to make friends with me, despite his English being about as good as my Japanese. I got the impression that he wanted to show me some photos that he had taken whilst working at a Japanese school in Mexico, which he said he'd bring in the next day. So, the day came, and he presented me, not with a photo album, but a book of really amazing photos that he had published. The key word there is "presented". Not only did he give me a truly lovely book, but he signed it in kanji, wrote another variation of my name in kanji, and gave me a mock certificate to say "congratulations, you've been here for almost a year", all written with a brush, giving the characters a wonderfully raw appearance. To cap it all off, I've been invited to his house in the Spring break, where I imagine he's going to teach me a thing or two about sake. One feels quite overwhelmed.

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Sunday, February 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Well that WAS a good one. We've just stopped laughing at the thought of these two total strangers. Were they carrying SPARE umbrellas - just in case? As to being the "English-speaking-object". Well done Chris - you write really well. I wish I could do as well as you.

Love to you both!!

 
At Sunday, February 19, 2006, Blogger dataphage couldn`t help but say...

Watch it with the Sake. It has a few lessons of its' own to teach.

 
At Sunday, February 19, 2006, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

I learned a fair bit about sake, the hard way of course...my first real sake hangover, a week after I arrived, cost me the biggest dog show in Asia...just think of the magnitude of that statement...

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

And no, the kindly gents in the street didn't have a spare umbrella. I write this having just received a third umbrella from the Principal at the school I've just been to. I may start carrying one around with me, just so our porch doesn't run out of shoe space.

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2006, Blogger Mrs. Darling couldn`t help but say...

well it sounds like they are polite and maybe we could learn something about not speaking our minds all the time. On the other hand I NEED to say what I think and I hate time wasters so it would be very annoying to me to live with those kind of people day in and day out. I mean how hard would it be to just say they didnt have an item? Mercy!

 
At Thursday, February 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

happy birthday chris xxxxxxxxx

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

miaow

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

happy birthday to you
happy birthday to you
happy birthday dear Christopher
happy birthday to you

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
At Friday, February 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Indeed Happy Birthday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home