Friday, June 30, 2006

最期ですね。



When I first arrived at Kyomachi Junior High, I had only been in Japan for ten days. Needless to say, with it also being my first day in a teaching job, I was utterly terrified.

Since then, I`ve been to several schools, worked with many teachers and met literally thousands of students, but I`ve always had a soft spot for those at Kyomachi, my first base school.

Being, from the point of view of the school, essentially a part time teacher, I`m more susceptible to this risk than those who don`t change location every week. The Japanese education system likes to move people around. After a certain tenure at one school, teachers may be given orders to transfer to another. Yesterday saw a shake-up in the schedules of the Kawasaki ALTs. I`ve lost Kyomachi, and my other favorite, Kawaski Junior High.

...and I`m aware that this post has tremendous whinge potential. As you can probably tell, I`m not happy. I`m going to miss this place. Thanks to this school, I`ve been drunk at ten in the morning, carting a bloody great portable shrine around the area in which I live. But that`s not saying anything really. Maybe all teachers feel like this once they`re separated from their charges, but these kids are amazing - charismatic, capable, friendly, hilarious...I could go on...

The good news is that Kyomachi is but a (powerful) gnats fart away from my humble abode, and running into the students whilst doing laundry or shopping is not at all uncommon.

So, from September, I`ll be getting two new schools - Miyuki, by all accounts, a wonderful place, and Minami Daishi, by all accounts, hell on earth. We`ll see what those bring later...

Apologies for the bleak tone this week. Even the title, "saigo desu ne?" means "it`s the end, isn`t it?" Fatalistic, but that`s Japan.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Saturday, July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

shoganai kana. gambate kudasai

 
At Saturday, July 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Translation please Paul? Meanwhile Chris - glad to see that despite drowning your lap-top, you are still able to send out your latest Japanese journal

 
At Saturday, July 01, 2006, Blogger Peter Yokoyama couldn`t help but say...

Paul says "You have no choice but cheer up!"

Well, you will have a lot new more fun at the new school, Chris.

BTW, moving people around is not just the speciality of Jpn educational system but of any Japanese workplace.

 
At Sunday, July 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Thanks for the translation. My Japanese skills are currently rated at zero, so I'm glad of ANY help at all!

 
At Saturday, July 08, 2006, Blogger WrathofDawn couldn`t help but say...

Moving teachers around seems to be the norm in Canada, too. At least in Newfoundland. One of my best friends, who last year taught special education, computer tech and science to 8- and 9-year olds has been told that in September she will be assigned to... wait for it... kindergarten. We're not sure who we feel sorry for, her or the poor, unsuspecting 5-year old students and joke about taking up a collection for counselling for the kids...

Hope both schools work out to be good experiences.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home