Sunday, April 02, 2006

Spring vacation...one year on...filling in the blanks...

This entry was to have been a glittering description of the fabulous historical city Nikko, housing many tombs of the Tokugawa Shogunate, the family that held Japan in the grip of military dictatorship for two-hundred years. It would have been a chance for Hayley and I to get out of the industrial eyesore that is Kawasaki, but alas, my body decided that my long anticipated holiday was the perfect time for me to get tonsilitis...

...so I had my first trip to a Japanese hospital. The waiting room was a mildly pleasant experience, one that we in the west might learn from, with its opulent curtains, massive TVs, Library and sofas that try to eat you. Then I was subjected to a series of medical tortures involving nasal drilling, deep-throat pus removal (via a big syringe) and more drugs than I've ever had in one sitting. So, the holiday's been quiet...



Japans unofficial national flower, the cherry blossom has been in full bloom this week, so we've taken the opportunity to indulge in Hanami (lit. "flower see"), which basically involves sitting under a pretty pink tree and getting drunk with your friends, something we employed to devastating effect last night...




After a year in Kawasaki, I feel there must be more to this city than the (Guinness certified) shortest escalator in the world (ending in a staircase, just to remind you that you're in Japan), and maybe more to say I've achieved than teaching Japanese teenagers how to say "Eee, 'ecky thump" (to the point of being able to do it without prompting), something I'm missing, something...



...of course...







...it's the Kawasaki Cock Fest!!!


Last year, with my source material a good mile away from the computer I was frantically typing into, enthusiasim overtook accuracy in my description of this momentous festival. The story actually goes that a local maiden had her vagina possessed by a demon, the offending creature biting the penises of her suitors...eventually it was quelled by a local blacksmith using a steel phallus. Details aside, this was all about fertility and cocks; a pink one carried by a troupe of transvestites, a huge black effigy in a massive omikoshi carried by locals (and, surprisingly enough, one of my students) and a variety of the things in a shrine.





Stunning. I'm speechless. I feel my time here has been justified.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Sunday, April 02, 2006, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Addendum - this festival isn't actually called the Kawasaki Cock Festival - it's the Kanamara (steel phallus) festival. To bypass my childish repetition of the word "cock", maybe you should read this

 
At Sunday, April 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

You know - I must be completely naive!! Up until now I honestly tought that you meant "cock" as in farmyard animal. I might have known!!!!

 
At Monday, April 03, 2006, Blogger Stephen Collins couldn`t help but say...

This is the funniest and most eye-opening thing I have ever seen on a blog. I've never heard of this! Hilarious. Did you buy one of those lollies? I'm going to link to this post from my one if you don't mind.

 
At Tuesday, April 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Dear gawd man! Hitting the one year mark my self i thought that japan had lost all it's surprizes but thanks to you i have yet another OMFG moment. When and where is this festival? i must make resivations NOW!!!

 
At Sunday, April 09, 2006, Blogger bulabula couldn`t help but say...

Massive cocks! Yay! I'm still flat out organising my impending Disney trip, but am keeping one eye on Japan flights. I'll mail you shortly for more info. Hope your throat isn't too bad.

 
At Wednesday, April 12, 2006, Blogger Peter Yokoyama couldn`t help but say...

Haha! I did not know such a crazy festival even though my sister lived in Kawasaki!!

Well, a shrine in my home prefecture (Shizuoka) also has a festival in which a man dance with a foot-long wooden dick and two tangerines tied to his waist. A local anthoropologist said that the divinitiy enshrined there should be a goddess so that people had to console her with a massive dick!!

Well, Japanese people used to have a very relaxed attitude to sex until Meiji Restoration...

 
At Monday, May 15, 2006, Blogger Peter Yokoyama couldn`t help but say...

I happened to find a website about "Pu--y Festival of Aichi prefecture.

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~dai_/
diary/mamko.htm

Anyway, a pu--y is a sacred thing to the Japanese. It is often called Kannon-sama, the bodhisattva of Mercy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home