Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tonsillitis? Again?

With a vengeance it would seem. Where last years throat infection was "acute", this one is "chronic", and there was never a more fitting adjective...except perhaps "fucking".


The left side of the back of my mouth has swelled to the point of my throat closing up, resulting in my only being able to eat soup...certainly, a harsh way to fight back the Christmas Belly. Furthermore, as well as being slightly swollen itself, my tongue has not the free space it formerly did to dart about, where once the cavern of my mouth was a glorious echo chamber for my favourite wobbly pink bit of flesh. That constant pitter-patter of talking, indicitive of my genus has been replaced with a thick, plodding tumble of muddy syllables, and now I sound like Sloth, only less articulate.

Up and down, this has given me a week off work...so I can go to the hospital everyday & they can stick things in me...but it will make me better...but I won't get paid for that week. Life, oh life, oh life...

I'd better make some observations about Japan then...what they expect you to know and what they are surprised at you knowing is another example of the "either-or, nothing in the middle" mentality. Although I understood the pathologically complicated, yet grammatically speaking, refreshingly simple, directions and procedure to register as an out-patient, my directee didn't appear convinced of my comprehension. Not two minutes later, she corrected my use of Honorific Japanese (or Keigo), something that the Japanese themselves find difficult, and I've not even started studying it yet...although I suspect that this week will have me galloping through my textbook...or sitting on the sofa drinking tea.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home