Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Beards

No berd hadde he, ne nevere sholde have, As smothe it was as it were late y-shave; I trowe he were a gelding or a mare.
- Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales

There, Chaucer was describing the Pardoner, one of the Pilgrims to Canterbury. He refers to the characters' lack of facial hair, comparing him to either a horse that has been castrated, or a female.

Beards have commonly been seen as a sign of virility. Hercules is often depicted as bearded, whilst pretty much the whole Canon of Norse Gods sported vigorous efforts.

For Romans (variously adopting or rejecting the beard several times in their history), the bearded man was a model of virtue & simplicity, or he was a slave. In some periods, they wore beards in imitation of the Greeks; in others, to distinguish themselves, they didn't.

Clergymen in 16th century England were usually clean shaven to indicate their celibacy, or bearded in order to demonstrate their acceptance of Protestant Reforms. Sikhs regard the beard as sacred, as it is part of Gods' design of mankind. In a similar vein, St Clement of Alexandria, himself possessed of a fine specimen, had plenty to say on the subject of beards.

"How womanly it is for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, and to arrange his hair at the mirror, shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them!…For God wished women to be smooth and to rejoice in their locks alone growing spontaneously, as a horse in his mane. But He adorned man like the lions, with a beard, and endowed him as an attribute of manhood, with a hairy chest--a sign of strength and rule."

"This, then, is the mark of the man, the beard. By this, he is seen to be a man. It is older than Eve. It is the token of the superior nature….It is therefore unholy to desecrate the symbol of manhood, hairiness.”


Bearded men are also frequently cast as sages, a pantheon of fictional wizards cementing the image of the mystical old man. This element of mystery can cast suspicion or doubt over the bearded man,

Ned: What's wrong with my moustache?
Homer: Makes it look like you got something to hide.

Dialogues III, 8F16

and it's important to consider the horrors of the beard of Mr Twit, said to contain sardines, stilton cheese and cornflakes, which he would eat later at his leisure.

Before going to war against the Persians, Alexander the Great commanded his army to shave,

"...for there is not a better handle to take a man by than the beard."

Whether this proves to be my downfall at school or not is another matter.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, December 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Oh no!! My son's face covered by a beard!! As I read your quite absorbing account, all the while I had a dreadul feeling that I was going to see what I actually now DO see!! What made you do it, and what does Hayley think?

 
At Tuesday, December 26, 2006, Blogger Datsun Z couldn`t help but say...

Your account brings to mind an old George Carlin routine about when he started wearing long hair and a beard sometime around 1970.
I'm aware some stare at my hair
In fact, some really despair of my hair
But I don't care
'cause they're not aware
nor are they debonair
In fact, they're just square
They see hair down to there
say BEWARE and go off on a tear
I say "No fair"
A head that's bare is really nowhere
So be like a bear
Be fair with your hair
Show it you care
Wear it to there, or to there,
or to THERE if you dare
My wife bought some hair at a fair
to use as a spare
Did I care? Au contraire!
Spare hair is fair
In fact, hair can be rare
Fred Astaire has no hair
nor does a chair
or a chocolate eclair
And where is the hair on a pear?
Nowhere, mon frere
Now that I've shared this affair of the hair
I think I'll repair to my lair
and use NAIR, do you care?

Here's my beard
Ain't it weird?
Don't be sceered
It's just my beard

As a dabbler in the field of facial hair myself, I've found the first few weeks can be rough. Just don't let even one of the kids touch it. You'll have a whole slew of them trying to and yelling "zurui!" if you refuse...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home