Thursday, July 19, 2007

You're not from round 'ere, are you?

Some months ago, I was killing time when an old woman stopped me in the street with "Oooo, you're not Japanese are you?" Comparing her with the robust physique of my septuagenarian landlord, she must have been at least eighty, with poor eyes, as she was within a foot of me when she made this disovery. I explained that I was English, and her expression was one of colossal surprise, spilling over into delight.
"Hajimete!" she exclaimed, meaning "first time," and in this context, "this is the first time I've met an Englishman." We bade each other well, and kept walking to wherever we were going. I forgot about it until today.

During the break at school today, I was chatting with the Principal, when seven or eight second year students came to have a chat. Readers who know me will be aware that I have a somewhat flexible face. To children of a culture that doesn't usually communicate with facial expressions and body language, this can be hilarious.
"Foreigners are funny." remarked a girl, mid-giggle. The Principal pointed out that, as far as I was concerned, everybody in the room was a foreigner.
"Really?!" asked the girl, genuinely surprised. Then again, she is only seven.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 24, 2007, Blogger Paul Hillier Photography couldn`t help but say...

kind of like way back in training when i heard.

"wow everyone here has an accent except me"


-the road rage bunny

 
At Monday, August 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

最近のイギリスでは、「どこの国出身?」と聞かれるより、「この国で生まれたんでしょ?」って聞かれる事が多くなりました。みんな気をつけるようにしてるのかなぁ。それともモリむーの英語が上手になってる、ってことなのかも!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home