Thursday, November 16, 2006

You all look the same to me...

I've been to an elementary school today - not one of my most frequently visited, but one I've seen enough times to recognise most of the staff. This familiarity isn't totally reciprocated.

This morning, I was mistaken for the ALT who visited the school yesterday - a bespectacled gentleman with blonde hair who goes by the name of Andy. We're hardly separated at birth.

This has happened many times. John is a well built fellow with very little hair. His own students (at the Junior High level) thought I was he, presumably wearing some sort of toupee, when I happened to walk past their school. Most bafflingly, I have been mistaken for Erik - an indeterminate weight of muscle and drive with a near fluent command of Japanese...not attributes I can stake a claim to.

To be honest though, I find it nigh on impossible to distinguish Chinese from Japanese (until they start speaking that is); a short-coming that would touch a nationalistic nerve on both sides of the faux pas.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, November 16, 2006, Blogger dataphage couldn`t help but say...

Can't tell the difference eh? Try this handy leaflet from WW2 America. WARNING Not PC at all!

 
At Friday, November 17, 2006, Blogger Rouselle Rousseau couldn`t help but say...

I've written you an email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 
At Saturday, November 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

and I have sent you an email too. Am I to assume that all Japenese find it hard o tell us apart?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home