Thursday, June 30, 2005

Gokiburi, Blattodea, the Cockroach

Whilst living in Leeds, I decided that the epitome of the nasty scuttling insect was the Silverfish.

Example

The nastiest thing about these characters (apart from the story that they lay eggs in your eyes) is the way they move - an uncomfortable medium between scuttling and shimmying, their silvery backs catching the light and being icky.

Example

Cockroaches occupied a fairly esoteric wing of the Creepy Crawlies section of my brain, so I never considered the blighters to be real enough to worry about. Then I came to Japan, hearing stories about a definite Cockroach season. It started in May with tiny little things, but as the outside temperature rises...in some films before you actually see the monster, you get a shadowy glimpse of the thing, hinting ominously at its size. I had such a moment when I looked out of my window and was heard to remark "What the hell is that climbing up next doors wall?!" Then a couple of nights ago, I met the Daddy (or maybe it was the Mummy) - Christ alive, these buggers can move. Cockroaches have a bizarre jittery way of walking, akin to the Benny Hill sketch (read, body of work) where he`s chasing a crowd of women - in of itself not a pleasant sight. Cockroaches are distinguishable from Benny Hill only by their inquisitive antennae, by far the creepiest part of the things.

Lest it be thought that I am living in squalor, Cockraoches get every-buggering-where in Japan. They prefer warmer climes and are omnivorous, so anything goes in Gokiburi land. There`s lots of myths surrounding Cockroaches - like most insects, they`re scrupulously clean - however, because of their pretty indiscriminate eating patterns (a kindred spirit, I feel) they are likely to harbour any nasty diseases being passed around. Another classic is that, in the event of an absolute nuclear holocaust, they`d be the only creatures left alive. This is one of those stories, completely unverifiable. No real research has been done into the suggestion, and the aforementioned apoclayptic conditions haven`t occured anywhere, so general opinion states that in the event of absolute nuclear holocaust, they`d be the last to die, due to cells being most vulnerable to radiation as they split, which Cockroaches only do when they`re moulting.

In Lyall Watsons` "Supernature", he describes an experiment where one Cockroach was beheaded and another had its legs removed and the two were connected to each other, via an intricate system of tubes & the like, and they essentially ended up functioning as a single organism. A fascinating and adaptable creature. The bastards can fly as well.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At Thursday, June 30, 2005, Blogger BY couldn`t help but say...

I had an infestation of the little fuckers in a my guesthouse room in Saigon once. About twenty big'uns on my floor, walls, on furniture - and probably loads more else where.

Normally I would dispose of the creatures myself but on this occassion I decided to let the staff do it.

A friendly Vietnamese lady came up armed with insect spray and grabbed an empty cigarrette carton from my desk. First she picked 'em up with her bare hands and threw them to the floor, then she stuffed them all in the carton which looked far too small to fit all the bodies in.

Individual legs poked out the top. She put the spray nozzle right into the carton and sprayed for a full ten seconds. If you don't know, insect spray works by forcing every muscle to work at maximum efficiency until the insect is exhausted to death... legs wagged viciously.

The other thing about coackroaches is that if you don't kill the bastards right they lay their eggs at the moment of death. Hence the cigareete carton technique. She put the carton in my bin.

I had to sleep with the bin out in the corridor. My hair follicles couldn't take it - maybe it was al the insect spray in the air...

 
At Tuesday, July 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Sorry goat-san, cockroaches don't appear to be that interesting. Any amusing cock stories? I heard about Mr Cock...

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Mr SUPER Cock. Twenty three eyes. He is Mr Super Cock after all...

 
At Wednesday, July 06, 2005, Blogger dataphage couldn`t help but say...

They are still around here too, the little buggers, even though it's winter *stiffles a laugh (17 degrees C outsdide*.

In summer there are apparently thousands of them - can't wait.

 
At Thursday, July 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Can you believe it? I have managed to sneak a moment to check up on you!! Having just finished inputting "behaviour grades" onto the school system, I thought I would see if I could reach you!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Salford has managed to block all email usage other than Therese.Kearton@salford.gov.uk! Talk about a monopoly!!!!! I cannot even send home mail to school, because the Tiscali line has been blocked by Salford in it's wisdom. Amazing is it not?? I have seen teachers here use the web-site to book their holidays, but if I try to mail myself some work done on my home PC, I am totally unable to pick it up here!! Madness. Love and luck!!

 
At Friday, July 08, 2005, Blogger Shining Love Pig couldn`t help but say...

Don`t let the bastards grind you down mum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home