Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Repeating oneself.

Maybe I haven't written anything for a while because Japan and the lifestyle I've been leading recently have ceased to inspire me. I can't remember the last thing that surprised me about Japan, but there's one thing I will never get over...

...at my current school, there is a teacher now working on a part time basis. This is due to a sickness which has bound him to a wheelchair - it isn't the result of an accident, rather a peculiar wasting disease. A woman comes in to help him negotiate the trickier parts of the school. Yesterday, as the afternoon slump took hold, I saw him, clearly finished for the day, reading a newspaper, whilst his lady-friend buried her nose in a novel. Such blatant procrastination is all in a days work in any job in the world...but an hour later, I saw he had finished his paper and was staring into space, whilst the lady put her head on the desk and had a nap.

Why didn't they just go home?

Oh, and Abe Shinzo just resigned.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, September 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous couldn`t help but say...

Isn't there something about having to be "on site"? It's a strange world!!

 
At Saturday, October 06, 2007, Blogger Peter Yokoyama couldn`t help but say...

Naturally, they cannot go home. :) It is the golden rule at a Japanese workplace that you have to stay there until it is fully acceptable, i.e., you have stayed until the end of the time stated on the contract or until your boss goes home.

I used to work at such a place in Japan as a freelance interpreter. The head of the office came in at 6:30 am so all the other male workers had to come before that. And the head loved to stay until late, usually until midnight to 1:00 am, so the rest of the guys had to stay until then.

There were so many serious mistakes and the company's American partner always complained (through me), naturally, because most of those guys dozed off during daytime...

So they cannot leave there before serving the term...everyday...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home